Beet root Sabzi



When I was in school, my friend’s mom used to invite me and our friends every year for Onam, a festival celebrated in Kerala. We were made to sit on the floor and a washed banana leaf would be placed in front of us. The food was served on these leaves. She would cook variety of dishes, from brown rice to sambhar, to various chutneys, papad, sabzies, and sweets. One sabzi that could never forget the taste of was the one made with beetroots. 

Although this sabzi goes well with an Indian meal but I love it when it’s spread on a toast. It makes my breakfast super nutritious. I use it as a sandwich spread while preparing tiffins for my kids. Put a layer of beet root sabzi, another of shredded chicken and done! Wholesome and healthy!!!




Ingredients 
Beet roots - 500 gm (peeled and grated)
Curds - 1.5 cups
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
Asaphoetida (hing) - 1/4 tsp 
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Water - 1/2 cup
Lemon juice of half a lemon 
Sugar - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Heat oil in a pan and add hing powder and cumin seeds. Wait for the cumin seeds to change colour. 
  2. Add in the grated beets. Put salt, coriander powder and cumin powder. Mix well.
  3. Pour in the water and cover and cook the beetroots till it gets tender. Around 8-10 mins.
  4. Add in the curds and mix well. 
  5. Put sugar. If you want to dry out the water then you can do so now.
  6. Add the lemon juice and mix well. 
  7. Serve however you want.... hot if u want to eat it as a sabzi and cold if, like me, you want to spread it over a toast. 😊

Comments